Thursday, March 6, 2014

House projects - Painting the dining room



Painting the dining room


I really didn’t do too much in the room but I think I improved the look and feel of the space. We wanted a little more modern look so I was given the task of changing the red paint to gray.


I laid down a tarp with a painter’s drop cloth over it. I taped off the trim with painters tape, and then used a paint brush to apply the primer around all the trim. This is a very important step in the painting process; you should always cut in the perimeter of the room with a paint brush. Then you can use a roller to prime the rest of the wall surface. Some of the red was still showing through so I added another coat. You should expect to apply two coats of primer if you are changing a dark color to a lighter color.   



The gray paint went on smooth over the white primer.  The actual painting process is super easy but the taping and prep work is kind of slow going.


 



A ladder is helpful even with a roller. The ladder will allow you to cut in along the crown molding and roll the paint out evenly across the walls.

I gave the paint one day to dry then applied the second coat. I am going to create another post on changing out the light fixture in this room from that uber gold thing to something more up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment